Having penned more words than Proust as Banc’s original copywriter, Chris ‘Bowling Arms’ Balme has since retired his calloused typing hands to take charge of content editing and social media duties here at Banc — lending his innate wit and good humour to proofreading, content management and topical hashtag creation tasks.
After living in most parts of Greater Manchester and the north of England, Chris has finally laid his hat in the leafy enclave of Chorlton, where he has been able to adopt the bohemian lifestyle he has long been striving towards. On weekends, Chris can now be found brewing craft beer in his attic, tending to his potted plants, and queuing up at Barbakan Delicatessen for a fresh batch of his favourite rye bread.
As well as these noble pursuits, Chris oversees local dog rescue service, Barking Balmey’s, which caters to distracted/daft owners in the Chorlton Green area whose four-legged pals go AWOL. In 2015 alone, Chris reunited a handful of appreciative owners with their dogs, often forgoing his legendary office punctuality to see the frightened pets home safely — a charitable act which is steadily earning him ‘hero’ status among Chorlton’s dog-walking fraternity.
Since joining Banc in 2014, Chris has cultivated a reputation for both his copywriting prowess and his use of emojis, which can only be described as pioneering. Indeed, Chris is so partial to the odd ideogram, he’s handcrafted a range of smileys for Banc’s in-house Slack instant messaging platform — allowing the whole team to express themselves more sensibly and succinctly.
Here’s how Chris feels about working at Banc:
“The atmosphere created in the Banc office really sets it apart from other places I have worked. There’s a genuine effort made to ensure we’re all content at work, from the fully-stocked fridge to the open lines of dialogue, which makes this a top place to work – and one of the reasons I’ve stuck around so long.”
Chris is currently in the process of brewing a new beer called ‘Full Day Friday IPA’, which he hopes will enter regular rotation in Banc’s new office.
- After studying the on-screen gesticulations of Kevin McCloud MBE, Chris has become adept at adding a tangible sense of drama to on-going projects, even when they’re running on time and within budget.
- Chris’ fondest memory is engaging in a Brexit debate with TV gardener, Alan Titchmarsh, as the pair strolled through Amsterdam’s De Wallen district.
- His favourite cruise ship is the Ovation of the Seas, and he dreams of one day blowing her whistle.
- Despite his trademark ‘MEAT’ sweater, Chris is a borderline vegetarian.
- Chris spends over 1,000 hours a year explaining why he supports Arsenal.
To find out more about the hard work of Chris and the rest of the Banc content team, click here.